I'm a true pickled onions fan. With their pink color, my pickled onions literally shine every time I open my fridge. And as I open my fridge many times throughout the day, I catch myself using pickled onions over everything... Topped on my wholegrain slice of bread, my salad bowls and of course, all of my Mexican dishes. Depending on the "add-in" I used for the base recipe (Jalapeño peppers, ginger, mustard seeds), the onions always add a super unique flavor profile to my dish at hand. The Jalapeño version for example, works magically in a Veggie Taco. You should definitely give it a try!
To make your own pickled onions, you actually need very little resources. The only important equipment I think is worth to be mentioned explicitly is a sealable glass jar to store the pickled onions. Don't use a plastic jar for this process to avoid any harmful substances to dissolve in your onion-vinegar mix. I either use 340ml Weck Jars or the smaller 290ml size. I have bought mine both, at Amazon and at Butlers.com.
In summary you need,
- Red onions (or shallots alternatively)
- Apple Cider Vinegar (I recommend a better quality vinegar as you taste the vinegar flavor in your onions). I personally love Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. But this option is rather on the costly side
- Raw Honey (also try to use local and organic here as local honey contains many nutrients valuable to strengthen your immune system)
- Additional "add-ins": Red pepper seeds, mustard seeds, cilantro, garlic, rosemary, ginger, jalapeño or other pepper types)
1. Use a glass jar
As mentioned above, a glass jar is crucial for the process. Plus, they also look beautiful from a visual point of view. If you don't have any glass jars at home, just buy your next yogurt in a glass jar and reuse the jar. If however, you want to invest in some Ball or Mason Jars, I recommend those Weck Jars from Amazon or Butlers.com. as well as these Ball Jars (alternative: these).
2. Choose the right onions
I recommend you to use regular red onions. They have a beautiful intensive flavor and their color is just amazing for beautiful pink pickled onions. However, red shallots work just as well.
3. Be hygienic and store your onions properly
To be able to enjoy your delicious pickled onions days several after preparing them, make sure to use a clean glass jar. I recommend to rinse the glasses out with boiling water before adding the onions.
4. Go with natural and high-quality ingredients
Make sure to use high-quality ingredients. Not only your body will thank you for the pure veggie, honey and vinegar, but you will also taste the difference. From my experience, cheap vinegar does by far not taste as good as high-quality vinegar.
I like to say: "The world is your oyster. Just go ahead and experiment. My personal favorite pickled onion topped dishes are
- Rainbow Salad Bowls with pickled onions
- Tacos with pickled onions
- Homemade whole grain slice of bread with pickled onion topping
- Oven-baked veggies with pickled onion topping
I am beyond excited for your opinion. Let me know whenever you get the chance to try your first homemade pickled onions. I promise you, you will love them. Plus, they are a perfect meal-prep recipe. Just prep them during the weekend and you have your deliciously spicy salad, taco and veggie bowl topping ready throughout the week.
Share your love in the comments below or share your delicious pickled onion recipes with me on IG @bakdandraw.